The Dos and Don’ts Of Home Roof Cleaning
6th June 2021
Home roof cleaning is more than just improving the appearance of your house. However, if you’ve never cleaned a roof before, then you must be asking yourself, “What is roof cleaning?” or “What are the dos and don’ts for cleaning a roof?”
If you want answers to these questions, then continue reading this guide. Here we’ll provide an overview of what roof cleaning is and also highlight the dos and don’ts.
What is Roof Cleaning, and Why is it Important?
Before diving further, you must understand what roof cleaning is, especially if you’re a beginner. In this way, you can better understand the dos and don’ts of the roof cleaning process.
If you don’t know what roof cleaning is, it is the process of removing moss, mold, algae, lichen, and mildew from your home roof. Your roof usually experiences these issues, particularly towards the west and north parts with less sunlight. Besides, the roof cleaning process can include the removal of oxidation from the metal roofs.
But why should you clean your roof regularly? The answer to this question is straightforward. Your home is the most important and largest investment, and the most effective defense for this investment is your roof.
However, your roof is susceptible to various harsh elements, such as rain, sunlight, snow, and wind. When left unattended for many years, the growth of algae, mold, moss becomes inevitable. It is where roof cleaning becomes the ultimate solution to ensure
Dos and Don’ts of Roof Cleaning:
Here are some essential dos and don’ts that you should keep in mind when cleaning your roof:
- Don’t: You should assume that the cleaning solution will not harm the landscape and surrounding areas.
- Do: We recommend covering the outdoor plants, shrubs, or furniture with plastic before starting the cleaning process.
- Don’t: You should never start cleaning your roof without taking proper safety measures.
- Do: Some safety precautions include wearing non-slippery shoes, using protective gloves and goggles, and using safety ropes when required.
- Don’t: It isn’t wise to undertake roof cleaning on a sunny day. Remember, the heat can cause the cleaning solution to evaporate easily, thereby reducing the cleansing effectiveness.
- Do: It will be best to clean your roof stains during a cold and cloudy day. This way, you can soak deep the dark stains without letting the cleaning solution evaporate too quickly.
- Don’t: You should not think that the cleaning solution will immediately remove the dark stains or other types of build-up.
- Do: With the help of a sprayer or cleaner, thoroughly soak the roof shingles and leave it for about 15 minutes. Finally, you can rinse it off with a hose.
- Don’t: You should never wait for the algae to cover your roof to take action.
- Do: You can consider taking some preventive measures. We recommend clearing any tree branches near the roof. In this way, you can avoid the falling of leaves and twigs on your roof. Besides, keep your gutter clean.
To sum up, these are some essential dos and don’ts that you should keep in mind before starting the cleaning process. However, you should note that roof cleaning isn’t an easy job; hence, we recommend hiring a professional roof cleaning company in Preston.